Thursday 10 May 2012

Am I Really Considering a 100km Challenge?

So I found out about something today and the crazy thing is, I really want to take part.

It's Trailtrekker, a fundraising event by the charity Oxfam. It involves

WALKING 100 KILOMETRES.

I felt the need to internet shout that, because to me that's a holy-god sort of distance. I live in the centre of a city and my place of work is about seven minutes away. Which involves sitting at the computer a lot. At the moment walking is limited to accessing important places such as the kitchen, the lounge and the bedroom.

So why in hell's name am I suddenly taken with this idea of walking 100km?

In fairness to the event, there are three stages one can enter, from 40km, to 60km and the 100km doozy. I could settle for the other two. But I don't even want to do that! I want to do that 100km, damnit.

I don't think I've ever really had a goal like this before in my life. People might point out the long time I spent in education, filling myself up with ever more qualifications and certificates, but to me that was just...life. It's what I always intended to do, not something I specifically targetted myself toward.

This would take practice. I know that as of right now, I'd get about 3km and keel right over. I would need to do some serious training. I'd have to plan walking routes, build my stamina, practice walking with a heavy, heavy rucksack. I would be getting some awesome exercise which I know I really do need.

I think what most attracts me to this is the fact that it's a walking event. A marathon sounds like the type of thing I've expected to be waiting for me when I reach hell. But walking -- I do that every day! Stick rocks in my way, throw up some hills, drag it out for 100km, it doesn't matter because walking is totally my thing. I'm practically an expert at it. I don't need to learn any mad new skills, I just need to improve on what I already know.

The fact that it takes place in the Yorkshire Dales National Park is rather appealing, too. Some of the photos of that place are stunning. I can't resist rolling green hills, craggy rocks and stone steps leading to new places.


 I am well aware that I'm probably just fooling myself right now, that it's just another one of my spur of the moment fanciful ideas that will never get past this stage. And I feel even if I started training for it now, I still wouldn't feel prepared for the next event, over a full year from now.

But as they say, negitivity gets you nowhere, and it's never a good mood with which to start something.

Fact is Brooker, if you really want to do this, it's down to one person only.

No comments:

Post a Comment